Tuesday, June 28, 2005

 

Comparison/ Contrast

Janthima Srisombat
June 27, 2005

Comparison/Contrast

Pattern 1

- Tom Yum Kung is spicier than Pad Thai.
- Today she gives less money than last time.

Pattern 2

- He loves me as much as I love him.
- He does not have money as much as I have.

Pattern 3

- Whereas everyone tells me that Justin is handsome, I can’t agree with this statement.
- While good guys do homework every time, Justin doesn’t do his homework.

Words for indicating Contrast:

Even though
Even though the wallet is very expansive, my sister buys it for my birthday.

Nevertheless
It has a little chance to pass TOEFL, nevertheless Jane hopes to take exam in this month.

But
Peena is a beautiful woman(punctuation) but she is not attractive.

Different from
Tom looks different from last 10 years ago.

Words for indicating Comparison:

In the same way
Swimming helps your shape fit; in the same way, it makes your body be strong.

Just as
Just as Paul is reading the grammar book for^ test tomorrow, Justin is drinking beer with his friends. No, this is a contrast. Just as reflects similarity.

Be similar to
Alex’s behavior is similar to his father’s behavior in childhood.

Like
Jane is very kind like an angel.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?